How do your Blog readers know when you make a new post? Do you have tell them somehow – via email, Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn? Wouldn’t it be more convenient for you and them if they could automatically be alerted by email of a new post?
This can be achieved using Google’s FeedBurner service. After setting up an account, you will need to do the following to create a new feed:
- Supply your blog or feed address (works with Joomla and other platforms too) – For example, http://zygrinsites.com/news
- Choose which source if multiple exist. – zygrinsites.com/news/feed/ or zygrinsites.com/news/comments/feed/
- Supply a Title – ZYGR INsites
- Enter a URL – http://feeds.feedburner.com/ZYGRINsites
- Decide which optional traffic stats you would like to capture in addition to Circulation, Readership and Uncommon Uses – Clickthroughs, Item enclosure downloads, Individual item views and resyndication and/or Reach
Your feed is now setup. To add a signup form to your Blog, you will need to do the following:
- While still in FeedBurner, click the Publicize tab
- Choose Email Subscriptions
- Click Activate
- Copy the html code in the Subscription Form Code section
- Log into your Blog and create a new Text widget and paste the html code
- You can then edit the html to change the verbiage to your liking
That’s It! Visitors of your blog will now be able to sign up to be alerted when a new post is made. When they submit their email address, they will be taken to FeedBurner to complete their request. and a verification message with instructions will be sent to them.